David Salvage, M.D., FAPM
Forensic and Addiction Psychiatrist located in Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY & Financial District, New York, NY
David Salvage, MD, FAPM, practices psychiatry, and psychotherapy in Brooklyn and Financial District in lower Manhattan, New York, where he combines humanism and warmth with careful clinical understanding, with the overriding goal that each patient benefits from a complete recovery. He ensures that his clients understand both the nature of their illness and the wide array of treatment options that are available, including psychopharmacology. In this capacity, he often works with therapists from other disciplines as part of a team approach to integrated care.
After receiving his medical degree at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York City with distinguished honors in psychiatry, internal medicine, and the history of psychiatry, Dr. Salvage went on to complete his residency training at New York University’s Bellevue Hospital. Montefiore Medical Center in New York City then awarded Dr. Salvage with a clinical teaching fellowship.
Dr. Salvage has held faculty positions at New York University School of Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, and New York Medical College, where he served on the Faculty Senate and received the honor of Teacher of the Year. His publications have appeared in a variety of psychiatric journals and anthologies, and he has presented at numerous national and international conferences.
Outside of his private practice, Dr. Salvage has worked as a consultant for local mental health centers, schools, prisons, and Fortune 500 companies, such as Goldman Sachs and Showtime. He also has extensive consulting experience working with families on guardianship issues at Child Protective Services.
Dr. Salvage is board-certified with the American Academy of Psychiatry and has been certified by the American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry between 1997-2007. He continues to participate in a wide variety of training addressed towards cutting edge treatment of addiction. Also, he holds the following certifications, memberships, and affiliations:
- A fellowship with the Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine
- Certification in EMDR Level III training
- Membership with the International Psychoanalytic Association
- Certification in Psychoanalysis by the Institute for Psychoanalytic Training and Research
- Certification in buprenorphine treatment and administration
- Member of the New York University Bellevue Psychiatric Society
- Certification by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMSHA)
- A diploma from the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- A diploma from the National Board of Medical Examiners
- A diploma from of the American Board of Addiction Psychiatry (1997-2007)
Colleagues describe Dr. Salvage as wise, articulate, and able to integrate a wide variety of viewpoints. Professionals from a variety of disciplines frequently reach out to him for advice on psychiatric, legal, and interpersonal issues.